06 June 2014

Super Simple Succotash and Sausage

Succotash is a food dish consisting primarily of corn and lima beans or other shell beans. Other ingredients may be added including tomatoes and green or sweet red peppers...so sayeth Wikipedia.

Have you ever added meat to your succotash? It might not be traditional, but I love to make a main dish out of my succotash by adding some smoked sausage. If I'm really feeling frisky, I'll add an additional vegetable -- potatoes. (Since I adore potatoes in any fashion, I'm usually feeling frisky.) As always, fresh vegetables are best, but the procedure could also be as simple as opening a few cans.

First, I sauté a small onion (diced) with an 8 oz. sausage link (sliced). I use simply smoked beef sausage, but go with whatever you like. (I might also add some diced bell pepper if I have it on hand. Neglected to do that today.)


After the onion is translucent and the sausage is browned, in go the vegetables: corn, lima beans, diced tomatoes, and diced potatoes. When using canned goods, I drain all but the tomatoes.

I just cracked myself up over the lack of brand loyalty on display here.

As for seasonings, I use freshly ground black pepper and fresh garlic. I don't add salt since the canned goods and sausage have plenty for me. Additionally, I might add one or both of the following: worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. I can't help it. Both make me happy!

De-licious!

Succotash and Sausage

Ingredients

  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 8 oz link smoked beef sausage (or your preference), sliced
  • 1 can lima beans, drained
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 can corn, drained
  • 1 can diced potatoes, drained
  • black pepper and garlic to taste
  • olive oil for the sauté
  • bell pepper, diced (optional)
  • worcestershire sauce and hot sauce to taste (optional)

Instructions

  1. Sauté onion and sausage in olive oil until translucent and browned (respectively).
  2. Add in canned goods and seasonings. Stir together.
  3. Allow to simmer until at least heated through. I let mine go about 30 minutes.
  4. Additional items can be added: bell pepper with the onions; worcestershire and / or hot sauce with the seasonings.
Yield: about 4 servings



Shared at Fiesta Friday, Freedom Fridays, From the Farm Blog Hop, Old-Fashioned Friday, and some of these other fine hops. A special shout-out goes to the Thrifty Couple's inaugural Thrifty Thursday.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! This looks absolutely delicious (and meets all my allergy needs). Thanks for bringing the Succotash to FF, and have a wonderful weekend! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I bid you a great weekend, as well.

      Delete
  2. What an excellent idea to add smoked sausage to this recipe. It looks delicious! Thanks for bringing it to Fiesta Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! No I have never added meat to my succotash but I will now! Thank you so much for joining our Fiesta Friday #19, we hope to see you lots as you explore your "new interest" !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this sounds delicious and I love adding the smoked sausage! It is a perfect combination. Thank you for sharing on the Four Seasons party! So glad you join us!
    Easy Life Meal & Party Planning

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...