All I wanted to do was make a Dump Cake. In my ever constant (never ending?) attempt to eat more real food and less chemicals, I was a bit frustrated with the "dump a box of cake mix over the top" step in the recipe. Of course, that's not the only recipe like that. There are plenty that include "1 box yellow cake mix" as a single ingredient.
So off to Google I go. While I eventually found the recipe that follows on several blogs, I will credit the first place I saw it -- Brown Eyed Baker. Thankfully, I can now add boxed cake mix to my no-need-to-buy list!
Per the instructions, I used my trusty food processor to easily whip the mix together.
|Mixed dry ingredients.|
|Cubed butter tossed in flour mixture, and pure vanilla extract added.|
Here's the recipe. I'll be back later tomorrow with that Dump Cake!
Make Your Own Cake Mix
For a cake recipe using this mix, visit Mel's Kitchen Cafe.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup milk powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 in. cubes, chilled
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Add all dry ingredients to bowl of food processor. Mix for about 15 seconds.
- Add butter cubes and slightly toss in flour mixture, making sure all are coated. Add vanilla.
- Process with 10-15 one-second pulses, until mixture is fine and crumbly -- like boxed cake mix!
- Store in freezer bag or container in freezer for up to 2 months. No need to "thaw". Simply use straight from freezer in any recipe calling for cake mix.
Yield: 5+ cups
Shared at Life Lately Link Up, Homemaking Party, Wake Up Wednesday, Backyard Farming Connection Hop, Lovely Ladies Linky, Mountain Woman Rendezvous, Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop, and some of these fine hops.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a very small commission if you click the link and buy something. This helps support my mountain homestead dream as well as my blogging activities, and the price you pay will be no different than if you arrived at the same destination through any other link. My opinions are my own, to be sure. If I link to a product and say I like it -- I truly like it! :-) Thanks for reading and following Stephlin's Mountain.