I'm not quite sure what brought on the recent desire for Dump Cake to begin with. I remember reading a post about it online, then a few days later it was mentioned in my vicinity off-line. I guess I took that as a sign from above. Must. Make. Dump. Cake.
Dump cake also brings back memories. Grandma Logue used to make it for us, and I bet it had been twenty years or more since my last bite.
Dump Cake as it is traditionally prepared, unfortunately, is not good for you. Don't worry, I didn't let that tidbit stop me. Yet I was feeling extra bummed about "dumping" a box of chemical-laden cake mix on top of my canned fruit. So I searched around for a recipe, and made my own. There! Now I feel a little better. (I really wanted to make my own cherry pie filling, but I just couldn't bring myself to pay the price for fresh cherries. I know they're going to be on sale soon, so I've put canning some for next time on my to-do list!)
I remember, when I was a kid, having to go to the tree in her backyard and pick them up off the ground. And I remember her and Grandpa sitting in the living room with a bowl full each, cracking them open.
Ready for the recipe, yet? Don't worry. I won't leave you hanging in suspense much longer. ;-)
Delectable Dump Cake
- 1 (21 oz.) can cherry pie filling
- 1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple, with juice
- 2 full cups homemade yellow cake mix (or 1 box store bought)
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract (make your own!)
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 9x13 pan with non-stick spray.
- Dump pineapple and cherry pie filling into pan. Swirl together and spread evenly over bottom of pan.
- Dump and spread yellow cake mix evenly over top of fruit.
- Dump and spread chopped pecans evenly over top of cake mix.
- Mix vanilla in with melted butter, and pour evenly over top of pecans.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. (Mine took 55 minutes.)
Shared at All Things Thursday, Fabulously Frugal Thursday, Four Seasons Blog Hop, Thrifty Thursday, Thriving Thursday, and some of these other fine hops.