I love that my mother is on facebook. Even though she doesn't think the commenting back and forth gives me a valid reason to call less, it's all good. Plus, I get to see her recipe shares. We have pretty similar food tastes – good and bad (sorry, Mom) -- so I usually pay attention to the links she sends to her timeline.
A most recent share was for homemade chicken burrito bowls that were actually to be prepared for lunch over a period of about four days. The recipe was from Tasty on BuzzFeed. With over 640,000 views, you might have seen it. Anyway, I liked how the chicken and fixin's were prepared, so I decided to have it for dinner last night. I kept it more to true burrito style, though.
I went from pinning the recipe post to Pinterest, to saving it to my "cookbook" in Evernote. If it makes it to Evernote, it's a keeper.
As you can see, the onions and peppers, as well as the boneless chicken, is baked all on one pan – love that.
In addition to the salsa chicken, peppers, and onions, we add black beans, corn, and rice. You can prepare these separately, or cheat like I did, and use a frozen blend.
Put everything on a burrito size tortilla, top with cheese, and roll her up. You can make it small enough to hold in your hand, or big enough you need a fork. (I needed a fork.)
Salsa Chicken & Rice Burritos
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (trimmed)
- 2 bell peppers (any color), sliced
- 1/2 large white onion, sliced
- olive oil for drizzling, abt 2 tbsp
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning (try homemade!)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 pkg frozen corn, black bean, rice blend
- shredded cheddar cheese, for topping
- burrito size tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400° F, and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place chicken, peppers, and onions onto baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle taco seasoning evenly over both sides of chicken breasts. Salt and pepper the onions and peppers. Toss to coat.
- Top each chicken breast with salsa. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until internal temperature of chicken reaches 165°
- While chicken, onions, and peppers are baking, heat the corn and black bean blend until warmed through.
- Once chicken is done, allow to rest for 10 minutes. Slice into strips.
- Assemble burritos with tortillas, salsa chicken, onions, peppers, and vegetable blend with rice. Top with cheese and roll up.
Yield: 2 - 3 servings