12 March 2016

Welcome to Week One! (Diary of a Newbie Homesteader)

100_6923Our first week in the mountains of course necessitated getting our beginning homestead up and running.  I say "beginning homestead" because we are hoping to have our own land in the future.  So anything we do here will be of the portable fashion.  Would you like a tour?


Entryway

100_6921

Yep, everything we own is right there – only what we need and love.  Been "tiny house" living for over a year and haven't missed a single thing donated or trashed during the move.

And here is our back "yard."

100_6922

Might not look like much to some, but it's more than I had when we were in a 1,200 square foot apartment! I envision a large container garden for the summer.  Need to get those seeds started…

And that's it! Hope you enjoyed your tour. 

It doesn't feel like I've done any homestead-y stuff this week.  More like homemaking.  But those two are sometimes interchangeable, aren't they?

We partook in a couple of good grocery store deals this week.  Nine "milanese style" slices of top round steak for just over $8.  That's three meals worth of meat protein for us.  And we got several pounds of "ready-to-eat" bananas.  Stay tuned for a post on five different ways I used them! (Minus the semi-homemade banana pudding I made the day we got them and the peanut butter banana cookies that were an epic fail.)

Got some family news that confirmed my desire to have a natural medicine cabinet and hopefully the ability to not rely heavily on mainstream medicine.  Not going to elaborate at this time, but I'm sure many of you understand where I'm coming from.

Got eleven chapters in the book of Numbers read.  I'd like to have spent more time with God this week, yet still feel happy with the progress made.  Stay tuned for more on that.

The biggest blessing of the week was B getting a job! Say it with me – "Hallelujah!"

Started a to-do list.  That didn't take long to get long.

We've been going out every day to learn a bit about our surroundings.  Found a beautiful lake that sits just a few miles away.

lakeblueridgemarina

Started doing some research for a women's history month blog post.  I'll let ya know when it's done in case you're interested.

Something about me:  I don't cook.  Really.  I don't.  But that is something I must learn to do, for many reasons (it's better for you and saves money are just two).  So I was thrilled, ecstatic, and jubilant (read:  happy) to cook my first vegetarian – one pot – meal that. was. good! So good, that I might share it with you in a later post.

…And that was week one! Thanks for following along.  I'll leave you with a few images from the local St. Patrick's Day parade (that I walked the 1/2 mile – majority up a mountain – to see, btw)…  From my mountaintop to yours!

St

Shared at Faith Filled Friday and Freedom Fridays.

9 comments:

  1. Love! I can give you some good recipes for two! And it's from your Mountain to my Palm tree! Keep writing, I love it! kelsam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely take you up on some recipes! And even though I know Bill likes the mountains, I also know he misses palm trees from time to time. As for writing...I'm trying! Thanks for dropping by, and always appreciate a comment. Love you!

      Delete
  2. I am envious. I hope you do well on your homestead. I dreamed of doing the same when I was younger. God took me a different route. Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you, Mary! Funny, if you had told me this was my route in life when I was younger...well, let's just say I would have found it hilarious. In fact, this wasn't even on my radar until a few years ago. God takes us in, what sometimes seems like, odd directions. Thankfully, He knows best.

      Delete
  3. I still have a small 100 acre farm here, was really thinking of setting out jojoba at one time, plenty of saw palmetto and sandy soil. Had 20 acres on a Gulf island at one time, never did anything with it, that's my problem, I only like playing sports.
    Again good luck, I wish the county would let a trailer on my farm, it's not like it's near a road

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah,the farm house has been almost 200 years with no upkeep. I might put in a crop if I could live there. My father's lawyer farmed it at one time. We also have a grist mill, sawmill, etc (my uncle) and the two graveyards. My family were beach people, I never saw another surfer when we were out there (Cocoa Beach) mid fifties. I've been in many mountains but living seems easier on the beach. Trust me.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you found a successful recipe. That can be tough unless you were raised to cook. I wasn't, so can easily relate. Thank you for sharing this. Blessings, my dear! I'm enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you are so right, Darla. I'm still learning. More successes than failures, thankfully, but the failures have been there!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...