16 March 2016

Cabbage Rolls Deconstructed (Happy Saint Patrick's Day!)

100_7008Did you know Saint Patrick's Day is celebrated in more countries than any other national festival? Me either.  That's what Wikipedia says, anyway…I don't know of any certain Irish heritage in my family.  And the most I remember doing as kids is making sure to wear green.  Didn't want to get pinched!

One thing that I have developed over my adulthood, however, is a fondness of cabbage.  And once you've been grocery shopping for any length of time, you discover that cabbage is usually on sale around Saint Patrick's Day.  Yes, I took advantage of the price this year.  I hope you did, too.

Now, if you'll remember, I don't cook.  Well, I guess I should say I'm learning to cook.   Anyway.  I enjoy some cabbage rolls, ya know, but the thought of attempting to make them was a bit intimidating.  So I knew I would be going a different route with my cabbage.

I don't remember where I found the recipe.  Was it Pinterest? (Follow me!) I'm not sure.  The point is I was led to Cooking with K, and she had posted (just earlier this month, I think) a recipe for Cabbage Roll Skillet Casserole.  One look, and I knew that was a recipe for me!

100_7012Now Kay's finished product might look better than mine, and she does have a low carb option.  But I'll tell you how I made it anyway.  Chopping the onion and cabbage took me a while.  Other than that, though, the recipe is a breeze.  The ingredients are as follows:

  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper (or about; I didn't measure)
  • 1 tsp steak seasoning (my brand was StoneMill Essentials)
  • 8 oz. tomato sauce
  • 1 cup white rice, cooked
  • 1/2 medium cabbage, roughly chopped
  • 1 (15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 tsp (heaping) crushed red pepper flakes
  • salt, to taste (I just added a pinch)



First, I browned the ground beef with the onion on medium heat.  Once the meat was no longer pink, and the onion was translucent, I poured off the excess grease.  Then I added the ground black pepper and steak seasoning.

100_7009

Continuing on with Kay's directions, I added the tomato sauce, rice, and cabbage.  Before I could move on, I had to let the cabbage cook down a bit.  The rest of the ingredients wouldn't fit in my skillet, yet!

100_7010

100_7011

After the cabbage cooked down a bit, I was able to add the diced tomatoes, ketchup, and crushed red pepper flakes.  This is where I added the pinch of salt, too…And that was it! I let the mixture go, stirring every so often, until the cabbage was heated through and softened.

I ate two platefuls!

As an aside, Stephlin's Mountain now has its own facebook page.  If you're into social media, I'd appreciate a like and follow.  Not only will I be sharing posts from the blog there, but I'll also include info on other homesteading and homemaking stuff I think is neat.  I just shared a link to canning pineapple yesterday, for example.  Thanks for the support!

Shared at Simple Saturdays and Happiness is Homemade.

From my mountaintop to yours,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...