03 September 2014

Pepperoni Pasta Salad Recipe

I'm not big on salami. Nope. But, pepperoni? Now we're talkin'. I can eat that stuff by the pound.

By - the - pound, I tell ya. Yep.

So when I came across a Betty Crocker recipe for Tuscan Pasta Salad, I knew the first change I would make was the meat. Pepperoni it shall be.

I made some other adaptations simply based on what was available in my kitchen. We all do that, don't we? The end result was pretty delicious. Thanks, Betty, for the inspiration.

I might add a wee little note: I was slightly unimpressed when I first made the dressing. Don't worry, if you are, too. After it sits a bit in the fridge, the flavors marinate together quite harmoniously and become much bolder.

Yellow bell pepper, pepperoni, and red onion.

After a dressing of finely chopped garlic, red wine vinegar, ground black pepper, and olive oil.
This is how it goes in the fridge.

After the addition of Romaine lettuce and Parmesan cheese.
You might be surprised at how the lettuce enhances the flavor -- I was.

Let's eat!

Pepperoni Pasta Salad

Adapted from Betty Crocker's Tuscan Pasta Salad recipe here.

Ingredients

  • 3 cups uncooked farfalle (bowtie) pasta
  • 4 oz. pepperoni, cut into thin strips
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped (abt 1 cup)
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped (abt 1 cup)
  • 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 6 cups torn romaine lettuce
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions

  1. Cook and drain pasta according to package directions. Rinse with cold water to cool; drain again.
  2. In a large bowl, mix cooled pasta, cut pepperoni, chopped yellow bell pepper, and chopped red onion.
  3. In a small bowl, add red wine vinegar, finely chopped garlic, ground black pepper, and extra virgin olive oil. Whisk until blended. Pour over pasta mixture and combine. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour, or until chilled.
  4. Just before serving, add romaine lettuce and grated Parmesan cheese. Toss to combine.

Yield: 6 - 8 servings


Shared at The Backyard Farming Connection, Fluster's Creative Muster, Make Bake Create Party, Mountain Woman Rendezvous, September Linky Party 2014, Wake Up Wednesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Coffee and Conversation, and some of these other fine hops.

5 comments:

  1. Stephanie this looks amazing!! I never thought to mix a pasta salad with a green salad but I'm going to have try it! Thank you so much for linking up to Creative K Kids Tasty Tuesdays! I'll be pinning this on my personal salad board as well as the Tasty Tuesdays Pinterest Board

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely will be trying this recipe! And because my fam is not too keen on eating raw onion it will be all MINE! Bwaahaaahaaa:) Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe with us at the Teach Me Tuesday Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so delicious! Thanks for linking this yummy post up to my “Themed Blog & Shop Hop!” http://www.godsgrowinggarden.com/2014/09/themed-blog-shop-hop-trees-colors-brown.html
    Angie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...